The Owlery

The features blog of The Temple News

Friday

2

May 2014

0

COMMENTS

More than 10 festivals to be celebrated on May 3

Written by , Posted in Art, Arts & Entertainment, Food

Spring is coming in full swing throughout Philadelphia this year with more than 10 festivals on one single day. On May 3, Philadelphia will celebrate the upcoming season in nearly every part of the city with events like the Rittenhouse Row Spring Festival, The World’s Largest Bar Crawl and the South Street Headhouse District Spring Festival.

Last year, the South Street Headhouse District Spring Festival featured more than 20 local businesses and this year, it will return with double the amount of participants. The event will take place from 11 a.m. until 8 p.m from Front Street until 8th Street and will include the 2nd Street plaza between South and Lombard streets.

Well-known for not only their unconventional flavor combinations for hot dogs, but also their prominent illustrations within the restaurant Hot Doggity will be a part of the festival. Owner and chef Keith Garabedian said he loves the opportunity for the business to be part of any creative or fun local opportunities.

Keeping local culture in mind, Hot Doggity hired Philadelphia-based illustrator Hawk Krall as their residential artist. Considered as “Philadelphia’s preeminent hot dog expert,” Krall has been drawing food for well over a decade. His portfolio includes work for City Paper, Philadelphia Magazine, Lucky Peach and more.

Being a part of the South Street Headhouse District Spring Festival just another way for Hot Diggity to be a part of Philly culture.

“I think events like this show off the flavor of each neighborhood,” Garabedian said. “Philly really is a city of neighborhoods, each has its own atmosphere so it gives off its own vibe, its own crowd of people. Philadelphia over all is cool for people watching, but especially South Street I think.”

In addition, Spruce Hill – along with the Woodlands – will be hosting a festival of their own called the Go West! Craft Fest. Mt. Airy will also join in with Mt. Airy Day, Logan Square will hold Sister Cities Park International Festival and the Science Festival Carnival, the Graduate Hospital area will host Plazapalooza, Bella Vista will have Brauhaus Schmitz Maifest and Northern Liberties is hosting the Radio 104.5 Summer Block Party.

Although each neighborhood is bound to change over time, Garabedian believes that South Street has changed significantly just in the last few years.

“South Street has really changed and a lot of people don’t realize that,” Garabedian said. “So it’s a great opportunity to show that off. There’s a lot of great restaurants now – we got Serpico, Nomad Pizza, Percy Street Barbecue – it’s kind of the new dining destination in Philadelphia when it wasn’t like that before. There’s a lot of boutiques and cool new men’s shops, it’s a lot different than the South Street that people once knew.”

The event will not only include South Street restaurants and boutiques that will be holding pop-up shops and discounts.

Hot Diggity will have a mobile cart that will be offering some new flavor variations for their hot dogs as well as a farmers market special.

“It was great putting this festival together, it’s amazing how many local businesses want to do stuff, I’m just excited about bringing different groups of people, this is going to be a fun day,” Garabedian said.

The event is free and open to the public.